Ready to order your laptop?
The Mobile Computing team is now accepting student orders for the Fall 2015 laptops! Here’s all you need to do:
- Log in to the Student Information System using your nine-digit Rensselaer ID Number (RIN) and your PIN, which is your date of birth in MMDDYY format. (RECOMMENDED BROWSERS for accessing SIS: Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox)
- From the Student Menu listing that appears, click on the Laptop Order Form option. A personalized page containing specific ordering instructions will appear.
- Click on the Select Laptop drop-down menu.
- If you wish to participate in the Mobile Computing Program, start by choosing the Lenovo laptop model you wish to order: either the standard T450s or the workstation model W541. (Please refer to the Mobile Computing Program’s spec listings for both laptops.) When you select either model, additional drop-down menus will appear in which you can then select your choice of backpack color and indicate if you wish to purchase an iClicker personal response device. Click on the Submit button to place your laptop order.
- If you choose to decline our laptop offer, select the Decline option, and click the Submit button.
- An e-mail message will be sent to your Rensselaer e-mail account to confirm your order decision.
Some important reminders
- Once you initially order your laptop, you still have the ability to go back and change your selections. However, you can ultimately only order ONE laptop; your most recent order will replace/overwrite any other previous orders you may have submitted. If you decide to cancel your laptop order altogether, the system will prompt you to supply a reason.
- Keep in mind that the price of the required iClicker classroom personal response device is NOT included as part of any laptop packages. A charge of $32.50 will be added to your order total.
Parents, Grandparents, and Relatives: Looking for a GREAT Graduation Gift?
If you have a special high school graduate in your life who will be attending Rensselaer this fall, what better way to congratulate them than by purchasing the laptop that they will use at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute? A laptop is required at Rensselaer.
The tax-exempt Mobile Computing laptop packages include:
- Laptop (model choices below)
- Backpack with the Rensselaer logo
- Ethernet cable and locking security cable
- Pre-installed software suite (see Laptop Specs section for listing)
- Complete three-year warranty
- Free loaner laptop if laptop is being repaired and will take more than a few hours
Laptop choices include:
- Lenovo ThinkPad 450s - This lightweight, professional grade laptop will meet all the computing
needs of our Engineering, Science, Business, and IT & Web
Science students ..…………………………………………………….. (Price: $1,495)
- Lenovo ThinkPad W541 - This versatile, high-performance system goes beyond the academic
needs of most students but may prove useful to Architecture students
(although not necessary) and others ……………………….. (Price: $1,795)
To place your order, please contact the Mobile Computing Team by sending e-mail or by calling (518) 276-3838. Payment by credit card, check or money order will be accepted. Please note that the laptop that you order will be delivered to your student on Sunday, August 30. As soon as we receive your order, we will send you a card and small memento that you can present to your graduate.
* Laptop specifications can be found in the Laptop Specs section.
Why We've Gone Mobile
All undergraduates are required to have a laptop computer that meets Rensselaer specifications. The laptop computers are currently used in Math, Computer Science, Physics, Introduction to Engineering Analysis, and Freshmen Studies.
MBA and MS students in the Lally School of Management and Technology are also required to have laptop computers. All matriculated students -- both undergraduate and graduates, regardless of school -- may participate in the Mobile Computing Program.
You can connect your laptop computer to the network in the more than 50 classrooms around the campus, using both wired and wireless connections.
In addition, every residence hall room includes network access for each resident at no additional charge, and most campus locations, including the residence halls, offer wireless connectivity.
The Mobile Computing Program
The Mobile Computing Program offers a complete laptop package including a state-of-the-art ThinkPad that arrives pre-loaded with powerful software packages that many students require for their coursework, and which is also specially configured for easy connection to the Rensselaer network. Students also receive help configuring their new laptops right out of the box, so they're ready for their classes from Day One. What's more, the Mobile Computing package includes on-campus support for both hardware and software.
In short, through its partnership with Lenovo and leading software companies, the Mobile Computing Program is able to offer this laptop package at a substantially discounted purchase price. You will receive the greatest value for your dollar, as well as the on-campus repair and consulting facilities to help you get the most out of your laptop!