Ready to order your laptop?
The Mobile Computing team is now accepting student orders for the Fall 2017 laptops!
If you wish to order a laptop package, please do so by Friday, June 23 to ensure that your laptop will be available at distribution prior to the start of classes in late August. Laptop orders placed after that date will still be accepted, but will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis, and may possibly not be available in time for the start of classes.
To place your order, here's all you need to do:
- Log in to the Student Information System. Your userID is your nine-digit Rensselaer ID Number (RIN) and, if you have not already set your PIN, the default is your date of birth in MMDDYY format. We recommend using the Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers for accessing SIS.
- From the Student Menu listing that appears, click on the Laptop Order Form option. A personalized page containing specific ordering instructions will appear.
- Click on the Select Laptop drop-down menu.
- If you wish to participate in the Mobile Computing Program, start by choosing the laptop model you wish to order: either the Lenovo T470s Ultrabook, the Lenovo Yoga 370 2-in-1, or the Dell XPS 15 mobile workstation. (Please refer to the Mobile Computing Program's spec listings for details on all laptop models.)
- Click on the Submit button to place your laptop order.
- If you choose to decline our laptop offer, select the Decline option, and click the Submit button.
We will send an e-mail message to your Rensselaer account confirming receipt of your laptop order, or your decision not to participate in the Mobile Computing Program.
Some important reminders
Once you initially order your laptop, you still have the ability to go back and change your selections. However, you can ultimately only order ONE laptop; your most recent order will replace/overwrite any other previous orders you may have submitted. If you decide to cancel your laptop order altogether, the system will prompt you to supply a reason.
Why We've Gone Mobile
All undergraduates are required to have a laptop computer that meets Rensselaer specifications, and laptops are now used in nearly every class. Wireless connectivity is also available in every classroom.
MBA and MS students in the Lally School of Management and Technology are also required to have laptop computers. All matriculated students -- both undergraduate and graduates, regardless of school -- may participate in the Mobile Computing Program.
You can connect your laptop computer to the network in the more than 50 classrooms around the campus, using both wired and wireless connections.
In addition, every residence hall room includes network access for each resident at no additional charge, and most campus locations, including the residence halls, offer wireless connectivity.
The Mobile Computing Program
The Mobile Computing Program offers a complete laptop package including a state-of-the-art ThinkPad that arrives pre-loaded with powerful software packages that many students require for their coursework, and which is also specially configured for easy connection to the Rensselaer network. Students also receive help configuring their new laptops right out of the box, so they're ready for their classes from Day One. What's more, the Mobile Computing package includes on-campus support for both hardware and software.
In short, through its partnership with Lenovo, Dell, and leading software companies, the Mobile Computing Program is able to offer this laptop package at a substantially discounted purchase price. You will receive the greatest value for your dollar, as well as the on-campus repair and consulting facilities to help you get the most out of your laptop!