We're pleased to announce that the 2014-2015 Mobile Computing Package, which includes a Lenovo T440s Ultrabook laptop computer, will be available at a purchase price of $1,620 to freshmen and transfer students who will be coming to Rensselaer for the Fall 2014 semester.
Here are just some of the hardware features the ThinkPad T440s offers:
- Intel Core i7-4600U processor, 4MB cache, up to 3.3 GHz
- 8 GB PC3-12800 (4GB base and one 4GB SoDIMM)
- 14.0” HD+ WWAN (1600 x 900), color, anti-glare, LED backlit, 250-nit display
- 256GB solid-state SATA3 hard drive
- Intel HD Graphics 4400
- Intel Centrino Ultimate N6300 3x3 802.11 na/g/n wireless / WWAN upgradable
- Ports: Three USB 3.0, one VGA, one Mini-DisplayPort with audio, one ExpressCard 34mm slot, one SmartCard reader, one 3.5mm headphone/microphone jack, and one
4-in-1 SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC Multiread card slot
- Integrated 720p HD resolution wide-view angle webcam camera with face tracking
- 6-cell Lithium-ion battery with one-year warranty
The following software comes pre-installed on all 2014-2015 Mobile Computing laptops. Educational licenses are included, but not installation CDs.
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 Enterprise (64-bit)
- Microsoft Office Professional 2013 (32-bit; 64-bit available for user installation)
- Maplesoft Maple symbolic algebra program (64-bit)
- MathWorks MATLAB (64-bit)
- Siemens NX CAD package (64-bit)
- National Instruments LabVIEW (local install)
Windows Defender Antimalware Client virus protection is included as part of the laptop operating system.
Please note that this listing does not include all pre-installed software, nor does it include other software packages that some students may need to purchase for their specific coursework. Please consult with your academic advisor to determine what, if any, additional software is required.
Laptop Distribution Fall 2014
This year's laptop distribution is scheduled to take place between 9:00am and 1:00pm on Sunday, August 24, in the basement of the Folsom Library. Please refer to the Acquiring Your Laptop section of this website for more information.
Why We've Gone Mobile
All undergraduates are required to have a laptop computer that meets Rensselaer specifications. The laptop computers are currently used in Math, Computer Science, Physics, Introduction to Engineering Analysis, and Freshmen Studies.
MBA and MS students in the Lally School of Management and Technology are also required to have laptop computers. All matriculated students -- both undergraduate and graduates, regardless of school -- may participate in the Mobile Computing Program.
You can connect your laptop computer to the network in the more than 50 classrooms around the campus, using both wired and wireless connections.
In addition, every residence hall room includes network access for each resident at no additional charge, and most campus locations, including the residence halls, offer wireless connectivity.
The Mobile Computing Program
The Mobile Computing Program offers a complete laptop package including a state-of-the-art ThinkPad that arrives pre-loaded with powerful software packages that many students require for their coursework, and which is also specially configured for easy connection to the Rensselaer network. Students also receive help configuring their new laptops right out of the box, so they're ready for their classes from Day One. What's more, the Mobile Computing package includes on-campus support for both hardware and software.
In short, through its partnership with Lenovo and leading software companies, the Mobile Computing Program is able to offer this laptop package at a substantially discounted purchase price. You will receive the greatest value for your dollar, as well as the on-campus repair and consulting facilities to help you get the most out of your laptop!