We're pleased to announce that the 2013-2014 Mobile Computing Package, which includes a Lenovo T430s laptop computer, will be available at a purchase price of $1,599 to those incoming freshman and transfer students who will be coming to Rensselaer for the Fall 2013 semester.
Laptop Specs 2013 - 2014
The ThinkPad T430s offers these hardware features:
- Intel Core i7-3520M dual-core processor, 4M cache, up to 3.6 GHz
- 8 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 on two DIMMs,16 GB maximum (no open slot)
- 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900), color, anti-glare, LED backlit, 250-nit display
- ThinkLight backlit keyboard
- 500 GB HDD 7200 RPM hard drive
- NVIDIA Optimus Graphics (NVS 5200M, 1GB), Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
- DVD recordable
- Gigabit wired Ethernet network connection
- Intel Centrino Ultimate N6300 3x3 802.11 na/g/n wireless / WWAN upgradable
- Ports: Two USB 3.0, one always-on USB 2.0, one VGA DB-15, one Mini-DisplayPort with audio, one ExpressCard 34mm slot, SmartCard reader, 3.5mm headphone/microphone jack, and 4-in-1 Multiread card slot
- UltraNav multi-touch Touchpad/TrackPoint pointing device
- Integrated 720p HD resolution wide-view angle webcam camera with face tracking
- UPEK fingerprint reader
- Bluetooth 4.0 wireless with antenna
- 6-cell Lithium-ion battery with one-year warranty
- Forty-nine month manufacturer's warranty
- Forty-nine month ThinkPad Protection against accidental damage
But you don't just get a laptop when you participate in this program. We offer a complete package which also includes all of the following, in addition to full on-campus support and a laptop loaner pool:
- A specially designed laptop backpack carrying case (a $59 value)
- A 10-foot Ethernet cable (a $4 value)
- A security cable and lock (a $7 value)
- An iClicker Plus classroom personal response unit (a $32 value)
- A pre-installed software suite (some software is listed below)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise, which has an approximate $100 upgrade price from the Home Premium edition. Students who participate in the Mobile Computing Program are also entitled to free Windows OS and Office upgrades for as long as they're enrolled at Rensselaer!
- Microsoft Office 2010 Professional, which has an approximate $150 upgrade price from the Office Home 2010 edition
- A forty-nine month manufacturer's warranty and protection against accidental damage, which may cost up to $399 for some laptops
And if all this isn't enough, because all Rensselaer students are required to have laptops and this is an academic program, no 8% sales tax is applied to the cost of the package, which means you're saving another $128! Quite literally, you're all set from the minute you take your new laptop out of the box.
We think that once you consider everything you get along with the laptop, you'll agree that this package is an excellent value!
The following software comes pre-installed on all 2013-2014 Mobile Computing laptops. Educational licenses are included, but not installation CDs.
- Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
- Microsoft Office Professional 2010 (32-bit; 64-bit available for user installation)
- Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection
- Maplesoft Maple symbolic algebra program (64-bit)
- MathWorks MATLAB (64-bit)
- National Instruments LabVIEW (32-bit; 64-bit available for user installation)
- Siemens NX CAD package (64-bit)
- Bentley Microstation (32-bit)
Please note that this listing does not include all pre-installed software, nor does it include other software packages that some students may need to purchase for their specific coursework. Please consult with your academic advisor to determine what, if any, additional software is required.
Mobile Computing Package information
The complete 2013-2014 Mobile Computing package will include:
- The Lenovo T430s laptop with pre-installed software
- A laptop security cable with lock
- An Ethernet cable
- A Kelty laptop backpack
- An iClicker personal response unit
Sometime in early July, incoming freshmen should receive a packet of complete laptop information -- including a brochure of laptop specifications, cost information, and order forms -- at their home/permanent address through the US mail.
Upperclassmen and graduate students who wish to purchase a Fall 2013 Mobile Computing package may do so by printing out and completing an on-line laptop order form once it becomes available via this website.
Bringing your own laptop?
If you will be an incoming freshmen for the Fall 2014 semester and plan to bring your own laptop, your machine's hardware specifications should at least be comparable to those of the Fall 2012 model.
You may also want to check with your curriculum advisor for any special software requirements you may have for your specific coursework.
Although these may seem to be straight-forward common sense, we'd like to offer the following general tips for taking care of your new laptop.
Run anti-virus updates
Computer viruses and malware pose a constant threat to the security and safety of the data stored on your laptop, and it is your responsibility to keep your laptop virus-free. For this reason, we strongly recommend that you periodically run updates on the anti-virus software that was pre-installed on your T430s. Doing this will keep the anti-virus protection up-to-date on your machine.
Run Windows and Office updates
From time to time, Microsoft issues updates for Windows and Microsoft Office; some of these updates address security issues, while others fix bugs, improve performance, and add functionality to your laptop. As with your anti-virus software, we highly recommend that you also run these updates to keep your operating system up-to-date.
Students who are participating in the campus' Mobile Computing Program are entitled to free Windows OS and Office upgrades for as long as they're enrolled here at Rensselaer.
Check your wireless
Wireless is available in most locations across the Rensselaer campus. Because RPI is providing wifi to all the residence locations, personal wireless routers are not allowed. If you have problems with your wifi connection, we will fix it, but we will need as much relevant information as you can provide. Please review and use the networking information for further help; you may also do some testing and submit a problem report from this page.