- Back up your files!
- Clean up your hard drive by deleting old files and uninstalling applications you no longer need to use. This saves space and the laptop might boot faster.
- Beware of "phishing" attempts, which often use official-looking e-mail messages to try and obtain your account password or other personal and confidential information.
- Configure your computer to run as a general user, not as an administrator.
- Configure your mail client not to preview attachments or display images.
- Install the Microsoft updates that come out monthly.
- Run/update Microsoft's anti-spyware software available at the Microsoft website.
- Students: You can apply for a Resnet static IP address and firewall change (for running a web server) on-line.
- Writing your thesis? Templates are available for LaTeX and Word.