News agencies are reporting on a widespread data breach due to a software vulnerability in a third-party file transfer company affecting many organizations across various industries, including education, government, healthcare, and financial services. At this time, we are not aware of any impact to Rensselaer data, but we are closely monitoring the situation, in particular with our third-party vendors.
We recommend all community members are always on alert as part of good cyber hygiene practices to protect ourselves and our personal information:
- Be aware of phishing/spam.
- Do not give out personal information, including responding to unknown emails, voice calls, and text messages.
- Do not reuse passwords across accounts.
- Your RCS password should be unique to Rensselaer and not used for other services/accounts.
- Regularly check bank and credit card activity.
- If you notice any suspicious activity notify your providers immediately.